Sunday, November 30, 2014

Power Poppy's December Release- Day 2











Hello there to you and welcome back for Day 2 of December's all digital release at Power Poppy!  Didn't you just love that sweet Winter Pick-Me-Up bouquet from yesterday?  Well hold on to your hats because that Marcella has got another beauty just waiting for her debut...Camellias.





Have I ever told you about my love affair with Camellias?  No?  It's almost as bad as my azalea obsession, almost.  I have five of these beauties in different varieties in my yard right now and have plans to add a few more in the coming seasons.  Several months ago we were asked to share a photo for the Bloom Brigade debut and the photo needed to depict us doing something dear to us....well, here was my photo and yep.....that is one of my big ol' Camellias that I am pruning!  (I am also wearing my Georgia Bulldogs shirt but after yesterday's game, that is a subject still way too painful to discuss).




So you can imagine my excitement when Marcella showed us this image.  I am really itching to get a variegated Camellia....I think those are so striking, so when I saw this image I knew immediately I wanted to color one of the two varieties in this image as a variegated bloom.  




And here she is in all her glory....Marcella made me one happy girl, for sure!!  Just look at all of that gorgeous detail...again, a true dream to color up because of all of the shading cues in the image.  I used many Copics to color this image and then I used a die cut for my main panel.  Next, I printed the sentiment and used a couple more die cuts to layer it.  For my card base, I kept it to a few very simple layers and some stitching....no ribbon on this one because I did not want to cover up one tiny bit of those beautiful blooms.  I did pull out my Krylon 18KT gold leafing pen.....I mean, if Camellias don't deserve a little gold leafing, then I don't know what does!  ;)  And if gold leafing wasn't enough, I added some shimmer to the blooms with a Atyou Spica clear glitter pen.  Remember, these are Camellias!  :)




How about that sweet sentiment?  Life certainly is better with friends!  I know I am blessed to have several dear friends in my life.  Speaking of friends, don't forget to check out what my incredibly talented Bloom Brigade sisters have created for you....I can't wait to see for myself!  I know it will be swoon-worthy, for sure!  I am so glad you could stop by today and remember, tomorrow is the Power Poppy Blog Hop, so you will have another look at what the Bloom Brigade has been up to for your inspiration.  Hope to see you back here soon, and until then...take care! :)

Christine Okken   
Dina Kowal  
Julie Koerber 
Kathy Jones 
Katie Sims <------You are here
Leslie Miller 
Stacy Morgan 
Tosha Leyendekker
and .....
Marcella Hawley



~Katie

Supplies:  Image and sentiment from Power Poppy's new digital set, Camellias; Paper-Classic White card stock from Flourishes, Naturals White card stock from Stampin' Up!, pink paper from my stash, and patterned papers from My Mind's Eye's Miss Caroline "Dolled Up" 6x6 paper pad; Ink- HP printer, Ranger Distress inks in Antique Linen and Tumbled Glass; Dies-Spellbinders' Labels Twenty Two, Grand Squares, Grand Scalloped Squares, Classic Oval Large, and Deckled Edge Classic Oval Large; Other- Krylon 18KT Gold Leafing pen, Stampin' Up!'s Dotted Scallop Ribbon border punch, and these Copic colors- R000, R20, R22, R24, R27, R30, R32, R35, R37, R39, RV69, W00, W2, W5, C1, B0000, E43, E55, E59, Y08, Y17, YG61, YG63, YG67, YG91, G20, G21, G24, and G28.

14 comments:

  1. Oh Katie your card is gorgeous!! Where I live we aren't supposed to be able to grow camellias but since I grow roses where I am not supposed to maybe I will try a camellia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie.. oh miss Katie! Superb girl! I do like that picture of you even with the Dawg shirt on. hee hee You look beautiful in your very own Camellia's. Now for the card... Fantastic! Love the fresh feeling, very much a breath of fresh air. The frame is so cool with the soft pink backgrounds. And that coloring is outstanding!!! love love girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is a WOW card if ever I saw one! Oh my goodness, the way you captured that variegated flower??? How the heck did you do that girl? It's stunning and I could honestly stare at this one all day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Katie! Swoon is right! I LOVE your card, and the variegated bloom is stunning! You know I love your coloring, and the layout is perfection! And, yes, no ribbon is needed, but I know they just love the gold! They deserve it, girl! And, yes, I love your Bulldogs shirt! Such a cute photo of you with your camellias! Wow, I don't know you are going to top this one...but you always do! Hugs, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning!! Love your variegated blooms and the card layout is so perfect for this floral image! Sending my condolences with the game yesterday - lol! My son and DIL lived in Atlanta for several years and he got his post grad degree at Georgia Tech. Undergrad at Va Tech so he was a happy camper with both schools getting wins! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I knew you’d do your magic on these camellias! What a gorgeous card Katie. The varigated colouring, the soft blue background, the gorgeous paper...all so wonderfully pulled together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty card, great coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My Goodness - Katie this is incredible!! Your colouring is to die for and love your variegated camellias! Absolutely adore the layout of your card and the colours you've chosen - sheer perfection all round!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My oh my I think I'm having the vapors! Spectacular! There's a tree next door in my uncles yard that has the red ones mainly, but it does throw off some with varying amounts of white. Very pretty. My favorite is the white one though. You know more about Camellias than me but grandma called it a Japonica so I'm not sure if it's actually a Camellia. I had a uncle who was in the Camellia society and developed some lines of his own. They are amazing flowers. Your coloring is just phenomenal my friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gasp! The ultimate Camillia card! I had to pin it immediately. This is so gorgeous, Katie, I hardly know what to say. You always give me a gasp when I come to your blog. You are really feelin' those Camillias. Huge WOW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, love the variegated look of the flowers, pretty papers for the background!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your card is amazing love the verigated flower. Awesome touch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my Katie! I love your variegated variety of bloom! We must have been channeling something similar :) Love the touch of gold (always!) and your card details are delicious! Gorgeous as always my friend!

    ReplyDelete