Friday, May 20, 2016

A Power Poppy Friday with Water Colored Sassy Succulents












Hi there and welcome!  I hope you are doing well this fine Friday!  For today's Power Poppy post I have gone way out on a limb.  I would like to share with you my very first post of a water colored image/card.  I have been seeing beautifully water colored cards everywhere these days and thought I would try my hand with this medium.  I chose to use the darling Hen & Chicks image from the Sassy Succulents stamp set for this card.  So, how did it go?  I think I need some more practice!  :)  My first attempt ended up in the circular file, but my second try was better.  I did have fun playing with some different colors! :)



My image and sentiment was stamped with Tsukineko's Staz On Jet Black ink onto some water color paper.  My card is a couple of very simple layers with a bit of stitching on the left edge...I wanted to keep it really clean and simple for my image panel.  Once I colored my image up, I wrapped some string and a button around the panel and adhered it to my card base.  This card measures 3 1/4" x 5 1/8".



Just look at all of that gorgeous detail on this image!  This sweet and supportive sentiment is part of this same set....I just love the mix of font and hand lettering here.  Marcella really did a beautiful job highlighting these amazing succulents.  

Well, that is all for my card today, but a few of my amazingly talented Bloomie sisters have some beautifully crafted cards for your Friday inspiration.  Make sure you leave them a little blog love while you are there.  I am so glad you were able to stop by for a visit!  I hope you have a wonderful weekend and until next time, take care!  :)

Cindy Lawrence     
Katie Sims <------You are here 
Stacy Morgan 
Tosha Leyendekker

~Katie

Supplies not listed above:  Paper-PTI's Smokey Shadow and patterned paper from My Mind's Eye's Portobello Road 6x6 paper pad; Ink-Ranger Distress Inks in Weathered Wood, Evergreen Bough, and Iced Spruce-Stampin' Up! inks in Pistachio Pudding, Rich Razzleberry, and Garden Green- PTI inks in Chamomile and Chai; Other-Wink of Stella Clear brush pen, SU! Aqua Painter brush, button and string.

10 comments:

  1. HA! There's NO medium you can't conquer! Wowza Katie girl this is so detailed you've brought it to life. Truly beautiful work my sweet friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie I think this looks awesome! So fun to see you watercolouring! I love the long lean design, the grey background and the awesome hen and chicks. Isn’t it fun to try something different? You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe this is your first watercolor. You've totally nailed it! Beautiful work, including the gray background which can be tricky to get that perfect fade out. Love the simplicity of design. I hope you enjoyed your watercoloring experience. I sure enjoyed seeing the results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Katie, it's GORGEOUS, and you did it!!! Yay, girl! It's amazing too for your first one (that you posted). I love the richness of your colors and how this Hen and her Chicks are so beautiful with depth, and I love how you've colored their tips! Beautiful layout with the long format, and I love the string and button around it! BEAUTIFUL, and now you have another color medium in your arsenal. And we want to see you do it more often - hehe! Hugs, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, you would never know this was your first water colouring card! WOW - AMAZING! Beautifully done, love the colours, layout, papers and I must say your 'rock' at water colouring. Looking forward to more water colouring images in the future! Have a wonderful weekend, thanks for inspiring me. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, this is incredibly fun and I am with Pauline, I never would have known this was your first crack at watercolor. Beautiful job missy! Great layout too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful Katie. Loved your coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, this is gorgeous!! Your background is fabulous, and it's incredible how you got your succulents to have such beautiful tips with the watercoloring technique!! WOW! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful rectangular card Katie! I love the deep, rich back ground. Love the red tips of the succulents! Gorgeous girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You colored those succulents so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete